What do you really need in your closet? Well I’m going to give you a few options in a series of posts labelled “basics”. There are some pieces that are imperative in a closet as you can build up on them. They are usually items that can be worn both casually and formally , seasonly and they are classics (they don’t date).
Todays basic is The White Shirt.
A white shirt has a multitude of style possibilities and you should definitely own one.
- Wear it as workwear with a blazer, formal pants or pencil skirt.
- Pair it with your favourite jeans for a relaxed casual ensemble.
- You can also be creative and wear it with a full skirt for a chic event look.
- When it’s colder layer it with a chunky knit, sweater or cardigan.
White shirts come in an array of different cuts. There aren’t only structured ones for work wear , you can also find more relaxed fits. I personally like the relaxed longer length ones that are have a more casual appeal.
Here’s one way I styled my white shirt for a casual Saturday look.
To amp up the look I would throw on a pair of heels and a cropped jacket.
A few pointers:
- If your shirt is sheer (they usually are) please wear the correct undergarments. Nude underwear or a camisole.
- Purchase one of good quality as it will last if you take care of it properly.
- Always handwash separately with special detergent (like Vanish) to keep your shirt in pristine quality for as long as possible.